Sunday, October 3, 2010

Part One: Britney/Brittany



Sorry about this late post. I am in college and went home this weekend for my cousin’s first birthday and forgot my computer at school. I also had no time to even sit down to write all weekend. So I’m writing now since I just got back about an hour ago.

First thing’s first, I loved the Britney/Brittany episode so much! It’s probably one of my favorite Glee episodes music wise. Some of my other favorite episodes where The Power of Madonna episode and the Theatricality episode where they did Lady Gaga songs. But I thought that this episode seemed different from other episodes. It could be because 5 out of the 6 songs were Britney Spears songs, or because Brittany finally got to sing a song by herself, which I loved. Either way, it was different and I loved it.

On this episode, the glee club was getting ready for the fall homecoming assembly. The majority of the kids want to do Britney Spears with the exception of Brittany who says that she has been hiding in the shadows of Spears her entire life, and Santana ends up supporting her. Will says that they won’t be performing a Britney Spears song because he doesn’t think that she is a good role model.

Later Will talks with Emma and she tells him that he is too uptight and needs to relax. In the middle of their talk, Emma’s new boyfriend, Carl, walks in and interrupts. Will is obviously jealous and somehow they decide that Carl is going to talk to the glee kids about dental health. During the talk, he finds out that some of the kids need help on their teeth and Carl gets some more patients.

Brittany is the first to have an appointment with Carl and has to have anesthesia for the work that he has to do on her teeth. This is when Brittany goes into this hallucination and is singing Britney Spears’ “I’m a Slave 4 U.”

When it comes to Brittany’s dancing abilities, I really think that she outshines everybody in the glee club, with the exception of Mike. I looked up her past experience and she was actually a back up dancer for Beyonce. She did the “Single Ladies” dance with Beyonce! I really couldn’t believe it when I first read that. Get it, Brit!

I liked the fact that they used the same outfits and concepts from Spears’ music videos. However, I noticed that during “I’m a Slave 4 U” they mixed certain scense from the “Toxic” music video and she was also wearing the red jumpsuit from the “Oops I Did it Again” video. I thought that it worked and all, but I just didn’t understand why they did it during that song, and none of the others. I was also surprised at how risqué some of the scenes in that video were and they actually allowed it on the show. I guess some people might have also thought that the scene in The Power of Madonna episode were they sang “Like a Virgin” was a bit much. I guess I was just really excited at how much they were allowing the kids to do.

Anyways, after Brittany has her Britney fantasy, Santana wants to have one too. She talks Carl into giving her anesthesia. Her and Brittany actually have the same fantasy where they are doing the “Me Against the Music” video. Brittany obviously acts as Britney Spears and Santana plays Madonna. I thought that this video/fantasy was also really good. I think that it showcased Brittany’s dancing abilities so well. I’m glad that they finally decided to give her an episode devoted to her character. I think that she is a wonderful actress/dancer and that this should’ve happened sometime last season.

Well, I realize that I’m only half way through the episode, but I need to get to bed because I have an exam tomorrow morning. Goodnight all, and I will continue this post tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment