Sunday, October 24, 2010

Die-Hard Rocky Horror Fans May be Disappointed With Glee's Show



In my last post, I talked about how Glee was going to do a Rocky Horror Picture Show episode. Now at first, I was really excited about it. I couldn't wait to see who was going to play what character and how they were going to perform the show.

Well during a short few days there have been many more previews of the show posted, including the cast's performance of the Time Warp (video posted at top) and Dammit Janet. From watching the previews, I'm already somewhat disappointed with the turn out of the episode. Before I start, I want to give you a run down of which glee kids will be playing which RHPS characters.

Dr. Frank-N-Furter - Mercedes
Janet Weiss - Rachel
Brad Majors - Finn
Riff Raff - Kurt
Magenta - Quinn and possibly Santana
Columbia - Brittany and Tina
Dr. Everett V. Scott - Artie
Eddie - Mike
Rocky Horror - Sam

I didn't like that they are having Mercedes play Frank-N-Furter. I understand that Glee is a family show and showing a cross0dressing teenager wouldn't exactly be appropriate, but its Rocky Horror Picture Show! I think that its stupid that they can show things like teen pregnancy, homosexuality and other subjects that some parents don't like their children watching, but they won't show cross dressing? I think Frank-N-Furter is a huge part of RHPS, and not having a male play that role is ridiculous.

Also, the song "Sweet Transvestite" doesn't make much sense. The song is when Frank-N-Furter meets Janet and Brad and is really just him introducing himself and how he is. But of course Mercedes will be singing the song, which doesn't make any sense. I feel as though a girl dressed in womens clothing is not a transvestite. Also, they change the words "Transexual Transylvania" to "Sensational Transylvania." It works but it just isn't Rocky Horror.

I also don't understand why the characters of Columbia and Magenta will each have two girls playing the roles. I know that there aren't enough main characters to make up for all the glee kids, but I feel like they could've been the Transylvanians.

One thing that I do love so far about the previews is how well Kurt seems to play Riff Raff. He seems to capture the strangeness of the character. He even does the voice very well. I think that Kurt is able to do Riff Raff's mannerisms very well. I think it was a good choice to cast Kurt as Riff Raff.

Now during the Time Warp, which is mainly Riff Raff's song, I was disappointed that Finn was singing some of the lines that should have been Kurt's. In the movie, Brad and Janet are just watching the Time Warp and don't participate at all. However, I would be very disappointed and sad if I didn't get a chance to be a part of the Time Warp.

It just seems to me like Glee is trying to be safe and not offend those who aren't RHPS fans and trying to get past the TV censors. I think that they are trying to rid the sexual promiscuity in which the show has ironically been trying to flaunt.

I feel like the non-die-hard fans of Rocky Horror will be pleased with the outcome of the show and probably be quite impressed. But the die-hard fans will get upset at what the Glee changes.

No comments:

Post a Comment